God challenges us to run a race in this verse!
One of the great implications I find in this verse is that there is a race set before us!
Four Things to Understand About This Race:
1) God is the Master Designer of the race that we must run.
- He specifically designs a race for us - more importantly for me!
2) I do not have to compete against anyone.
- In this way, it is not like any other race because I am only competing against the standard that God
has placed in front of me.
- God knows my abilities (or lack thereof), my calling and the gifts and talents He has given me. He
will never expect me to keep pace with someone who has more than I do!
- Nor will He give me unrestrained accolades for running at a pace far below my potential!
3) Jesus ran before us!
...looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Jesus also had a race set before Him - to die on the cross for the sins of every man and woman!
4) Jesus will run with us!
For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- God never uncaringly commands us to run any race and then sit in the stands unconcerned about
- He will be there every step of the way to lead, guide, strengthen and refresh us!
I am so glad I don't have to run Jesus' race! I am unqualified to give my life for the sins of the world because I myself have sinned! The sacrificial Lamb must be 100% without sin!
I am so glad I don't have to run the Apostle Paul's race, Billy Graham's race, my pastor's race, my uncle's race or my friend's race.
I only have to run the race that is set before me!!!
Post a Comment